Friday, July 23, 2010

Series Finale

I started this blog about a year ago after I took a trip with my friend Scott to the Rideau Canal in Canada. I was determined to write my thoughts and passions down and wait for the world to take marvel. Well...

This is my first post. The profound topic I have chosen to begin with is TV shows and their finales. What a difference a year makes.

I am currently watching the Lost series finale. I know that the finale aired two months ago on ABC, but I am just getting to it today via my DVR. The series is self-proclaimed as "a story that captured our hearts, challenged our minds, and changed our lives." In about 63 minutes I will be able to say that I have watched every episode of Lost. Now, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the series, but...

There has been a lot of mixed reviews for the final episode. I can't give you a personal opinion -- 43 minutes left to go; however, 13.5 million people watched the series finale. The final season has been nominated for 13 Emmy Awards, and the show shrunk to 11 million regular viewers over its run. Viewership shrunk to 11 million. Still not everyone is happy, in fact some are even angry, with the finale.

I am asking myself why so many good shows end so badly. Seinfeld drew 76 million viewers for a finale that even Jerry Seinfeld admits is lacking. Over 12 million people watched The Sopranos final episode on HBO which (SPOILER ALERT) fades to black in the middle of a sentence. Viewers panned the episode for weeks after it aired. "Why" I ask, are so many finales so disappointing?

I have two theories.

M*A*S*H*, the sitcom that spanned parts of two decades and covered the Vietnam War by spoofing the Korean Police Action, drew 122 million viewers for its' critically acclaimed final episode. The M*A*S*H* finale was the first major TV finale of any consequence. Simply put, it set the bar too high.

M*A*S*H* had all the necessary components for a great finish. It's story had a natural end -- peace. It had a history of taking on the tough subject which it did during the finale. (The final episode opens with the main character, Hawkeye, in a mental hospital.) It had great characters. The writing made Emmy nominees out of b-list actors. 122 million people watched the last episode and were generally happy with the story -- amazing -- 122 million people generally happy. There are six people in my house right now, and I am sure if we took a survey my approval rating would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 percent.

Goodbyes are hard. Goodbyes are never satisfying. Final goodbyes are worse. Final goodbyes are like a death without a funeral, a poem without a resolution, a house without a roof.

Due to downsizing, sometime between now and January, my current job will come to an end -- a series finale if you will. I am finding, that as the days on the calendar shrink to the final episode, their is little hope for ultimate satisfaction. Their will be too many tasks to accomplish, too many ideas to communicate, and too many relationships to develop between now and then in order find satisfying resolution. At least I can say that my current job has, for better or worse, captured my heart, challenged my mind, and changed my life. As for Lost, I'm not sure. I still have about 22 minutes left.

4 comments:

tamarahillmurphy.com said...

Mr. Murphy, let me be the first person to critically acclaim your blog premiere. I, for one, think it is a smashing success!

p.s., please write more

Ryan said...

Sweet! Brian has a blog! Nice writing...nice analogy.

Laurel said...

Welcome to the new world! I hope to hear much more from you, my friend!

Kaley Ehret said...

What I can't get over is that it only took you 41 minutes to write this post! (If my math is correct, that is...)